Think you would make a great CityKidz Board Member?
First, if you’re new to CityKidz, we encourage you to spend time exploring our website and learning as much as you can about who we are and what we do. Even better, we recommend that you sign up for a tour and see first hand the transformational work of CityKidz.
Becoming a member of the board of directors is an awesome opportunity as well as an important responsibility. Each member is a committed supporter and ambassador of the mission and vision of CityKidz and works hard to see its objectives completed. The Board of CityKidz plays an vital role in determining the success of the mission through good governance, oversight and strategic direction.
Most of us have busy lives, and you’ll want to make sure you have the time it takes to be a great board member.
Board meetings are held once each quarter, typically in the evening during the week from 6:30 pm – 8:30 pm, as well as a full day retreat each January.
Each board member is required to contribute to a subcommittee, based on their interest, skills and knowledge. Subcommittees typically involve connecting monthly with members via meetings, phone calls or electronic correspondence and preparing reports as necessary.
As part of the advocacy role, board members are also encouraged to participate in 2-3 CityKidz events during the course of the year.
Here’s a detailed list of the expectations you should plan for:
- Attend all quarterly board meetings and subcommittee meetings fully prepared.
- Work as a team member and support board decisions and objectives.
- Participate in the review of the mission and the development of the strategic plan.
- Approve budgets and monitor financial performance.
- Abide by the by-laws and other policies that apply to the board.
- Participate in 2-3 CityKidz events to better understand the operations and represent the Board.
- Participate in the recruitment of new board members.
- Participate in a subcommittee of the board (e.g. Executive Committee, Governance and Development Committee and Marketing and Membership Committee).
- Attend and participate in the Annual General Meeting and yearly retreat in January.
- Keep informed about community issues relevant to the mission and objectives of CityKidz.
There are many skills and abilities that make for a great board member. Here are few that we’re looking for:
- Experience working with volunteer committees, including a Board of Directors, within the non-profit sector.
- Knowledge and skills in one or more areas of board governance: policy, finance, programs, leadership, strategic planning, or human resources would be beneficial.
Interested in applying?
Simply email your resume to email@example.com attention to “The Board of Directors Nominating Committee”. Along with your resume we ask that you also include a separate attachment with responses to the following questions:
- In 1-2 paragraphs, please share with us why you desire to join the board of CityKidz?
- In 1-2 paragraphs, please share with us how you feel your can best contribute to the board of directors of CityKidz.
Be sure to include in your resume information on board and committee positions currently and previously held, as well any volunteer activities.
Thank you for your interest and we look forward to hearing from you soon!