CityKidz is committed to collecting, using and disclosing information concerning it donors, supporters, volunteers, children and families in accordance with this policy. This document sets out the manner in which will implement the principals that have been set out in the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (“PIPEDA”).
Principal 1: Accountability
The Executive Director is responsible to the Board of Directors for compliance with this policy. He is also responsible for the management of the policy, including the guiding principals.
Principal 2: Identifying Purposes
CityKidz collects and maintains a personal record only of personal information necessary to:
- Provide attentive and responsible youth programs, meet the needs of the children participating in our programs, provide emergency health care, ensure a safe and secure environment and to meet applicable regulations.
- Communicate with our supporters and potential supporters and to issue and distribute required information, including income tax receipts.
- Evaluate and communicate with potential volunteers and members of our volunteer base.
- Maintain accurate records and communicate all required information to staff members and members of our Board of Directors.
- Maintain accurate records of the individuals and companies with which we do business.
All other information is kept only as long as required to fulfill the purposes identified at the time of its collection, unless permission is obtained from the individual providing the information.
CityKidz may collect information about individuals in a variety of ways:
- Personal communications with an individual by an employee, volunteer or Board member
- Accessing information which is publicly available.
- Accessing information on a donor list created or maintained by another charitable organization.
- Renting a mailing list created or maintained by another organization.
- Internet research
- Responses to post office mailings
- Responses to newspaper inserts and mail drops
- Receipt of information about donations, memorials or bequests
- Registration for a CityKidz program or special activity
- Information generated by fundraising activities (including third party events) such as dinners, entertainment, contests and the like.
Principal 3: Consent
All individuals have the ability to consent to the uses of their personal information by CityKidz. Individuals may choose to withdraw their consent by contacting the CityKidz office in Hamilton. CityKidz will assume that consent is granted unless an individual indicates otherwise.
Principal 4: Limiting Collection
CityKidz will limit the amount and type of information collected to that which is necessary for the purposes identified.
Principal 5: Limiting Use, Disclosure and Retention
CityKidz will use the personal information obtained from individuals only for the purposes for which it was collected and will not disclose the information for other purposes, except as required by applicable law.
All personal information provided to CityKidz will be maintained in a secure manner to ensure that its use is limited to the purposes for which it was collected.
When personal information concerning and individual is no longer required for the purposes for which it was collected or because of legislative requirements, it will be destroyed, removed from our records or returned.
It is the policy of CityKidz that we do not release personal information to other organizations without the approval of the individual involved.
Principal 6: Accuracy
CityKidz will keep personal information as accurate and complete as is required for the purposes for which it was collected.
Individuals have the right to view and provide corrections to the data we have recorded concerning them. We will generally rely on individuals to provide updated information, including changes to address and other contact information. If an individual demonstrates that their personal information in our files is inaccurate, incomplete, out of date or irrelevant CityKidz will revise the information.
Principal 7: Safeguards
CityKidz will make reasonable security arrangements to protect personal information. We will inform staff and volunteers about this policy and require them to conform to it. When CityKidz discloses personal information to third parties we will require those parties to safeguard it in a way that is consistent with these policies and complies with these principals. (This might occur when we outsource a task such as preparing income tax receipts or distributing a newsletter).
Principal 8: Openness
This policy and the procedures for obtaining access to personal information will be available to any individual through our web site and in our Board records. If any individual has a question regarding personal information it may be directed to the Executive Director.
Principal 9: Individual Access
Upon a request in writing, CityKidz shall inform and individual of the existence, use and disclosure of his or her personal information and will be given access to view that information. An individual may challenge the accuracy or completeness of the information and have it amended or corrected as appropriate.
Principal 10: Challenging Compliance
Individuals may challenge CityKidz compliance with this policy by contacting the Executive Director. CityKidz will investigate all complaints made to it, in writing. If it is determined that the complaint is justified, CityKidz will take appropriate action, including, if necessary, amending its policies and practices.